Post 101

|
Yup. This is post 101! But don't worry; you'll find no rats in it...

I came across this great site today. It features the work of photograph Chris Jordan. I'd say something about it but the Spy is lazy as hell and Mr Jordan has been kind enough to leave an explanatory note about his work on his site, so I'll allow him to introduce the pictures:


About my photographs: Exploring around our country’s shipping ports and industrial yards, where the accumulated detritus of our consumption is exposed to view like eroded layers in the Grand Canyon, I find evidence of a slow-motion apocalypse in progress. I am appalled by these scenes, and yet also drawn into them with awe and fascination. The immense scale of our consumption can appear desolate, macabre, oddly comical and ironic, and even darkly beautiful; for me its consistent feature is a staggering complexity. The pervasiveness of our consumerism holds a seductive kind of mob mentality. Collectively we are committing a vast and unsustainable act of taking, but we each are anonymous and no one is in charge or accountable for the consequences. I fear that in this process we are doing irreparable harm to our planet and to our individual spirits. As an American consumer myself, I am in no position to finger wag; but I do know that when we reflect on a difficult question in the absence of an answer, our attention can turn inward, and in that space may exist the possibility of some evolution of thought or action. So my hope is that these photographs can serve as portals to a kind of cultural self-inquiry. It may not be the most comfortable terrain, but I have heard it said that in risking self-awareness, at least we know that we are awake.

Thanks Chris. Now for the pictures themselves (click on image for larger view):



Cell phones, Atlanta 2005


Recycling Yard, Seattle 2004


Pole Yard, Tacome 2004


Crushed cars, Tacoma 2004

There are plenty more pictures on his website, so do have a look.

Xenmate_Waste

0 comments: